As the heads of our families, we dads are expected to repair anything that’s broken and solve every problem that come our families way. Some dads fret about these expectations because they think that most DIY skills are difficult to acquire. But the truth is, they aren’t that hard to learn. Here are three skills every dad in the block must have.
Car repairs – Contrary to popular belief, car repairs are easy to perform and you’re less likely to screw it up even if you’re a beginner. By doing car repairs on your own, you save a lot of money and time. Search for free tutorial videos on line and practice. This will help you become confident in attending to your car when it has broken down.
Electronic work – Working closely with electronics is one of the coolest DIY projects for dads. Do you want to set up some ambient lighting for your bedroom or study? You’ll need a basic knowledge of electronics and soldering. There are simple how-to comic books for getting started with both which you can buy at an affordable price. If you learn better through tutorial videos, search YouTube for related topics.
House repairs – Is there a hole in the wall or in the floor? You must know what to do with it before it creates a big problem in your home and before it endangers your family’s safety. Know a few basic things about carpentry, plumbing, roofing and even gardening. They aren’t as difficult as you think. Knowing how to do them saves you a call to a repair man when something goes wrong.
Sure, DIY projects can be fun and rewarding. But it can be otherwise if you don’t observe necessary precautions before you start on any task.
Here are some safety tips to follow when planning and completing do-it-yourself and home improvement projects.
- Always have a first aid kit near your work space. Cuts and other small injuries are inevitable but the pain and infection they bring can be lessened or prevented if they’re cured immediately.
- If you need to climb somewhere, use a sturdy ladder. Falls are the leading cause of serious injuries and deaths at home.
- Read and understand the directions on the label or manual before using any chemical or tool you may be using. Improper use can damage your project, your tools and other properties. It can also put yourself in danger.
- Always wear goggles, ear plugs, mask, hard hat or gloves when needed.
- Avoid wearing clothes or pieces of jewelry that can become caught in the machine or tool you’re using.
- Unplug power tools if you need to walk away from the job, even if it is just for a moment. And when working on an electrical circuit, make sure the circuit is not live or attached to an electrical source. If you are not familiar with working on an electrical circuit, call a professional.
- Always plan out your task in advance. This will help you accomplish your goal safely and well.
Despite the many benefits of kitchen cleaning and organization, many people abhor and avoid this chore. It’s because it requires commitment, patience and time.
Are you one of those people who dislike this chore? If yes, read the following reasons why kitchens must be kept neat all the time. They might help you see kitchen cleaning and orgnization in a different and positive way.
- Convenience and efficiency – It is easier to prepare healthy meals for your family when cooking is performed without any obstacles in the way. Searching through a dirty and disorganized kitchen for ingredients and cooking materials wastes your time and energy. Before you know it, you will have lost the motivation to cook and you end up calling for a delivery of fast food.
- Insect invasion prevention – Ants, bugs and roaches feed on remnants on the floor, sink and counter tops. Regular cleaning keeps insects from feeding on your food leftovers and from procreating and spreading to the other parts of your house.
- Kitchen furniture maintenance – Most of the cupboards, shelves and counter tops in the kitchen are made of wood. They need to be clean and dry all the time as moisture will cause them to chip and rot. The same is true for the paint on your kitchen walls. Wipe off oil, sauce or any liquid ingredient which might have spurted onto your kitchen walls to avoid premature paint damage.
- Absence of bad smell and moulds – Bad smells and moulds signal the existence of harmful bacteria that can cause allergies and other health risks to you and your family. Keeping the kitchen clean and dry will prevent the mould from growing, and this keeps the kitchen a healthy place for everyone to work and eat in.
So how do you keep your kitchen clean and organized? Here are a few suggestions:
- Organize your mess. Collect all garbage. Put away all the items you don’t need and use – plastic bottles, takeaway containers, etc. Clean all used pans, plates, glasses, etc. and out put them back in their proper places.
- Sweep the floor. Give your floor a quick sweep every day. Clean it with soap and water when needed.
- Consider replacements. A clogged sink, dripping taps and broken cupboards can cause unwanted mess. Replace them with kitchen furniture and fixtures made from quality materials. This will keep the your kitchen clutter manageable.
For more tips on cleaning and organizing your kitchen, check out this detailed infographic from Bourne Bathrooms.
A well-kept kitchen makes healthy eating at home possible. It allows you to save money as well. So take the time to clean and organize your kitchen today.
It’s still a month before Father’s Day. And yet many are already asking me about the best home improvement gifts for DIY dads. I did ask my fellow dads and home improvements fanatics for their suggestions. Here’s a short list of the common things they want as a gift.
Glasses and Gloves – Glasses protect the eyes from a spec of metal or wood while gloves protect the hands from splinter insertion. Most protection glasses used in DIY projects are made from similar materials. Gloves, on the other hand, are made from cotton, leather and rubber. Moreover, they are classified according to the projects where they’d be used – gardening, carpentry, cleaning, etc.
Cordless Driver Drill – A driver drill in drilling holes and driving screws. It can also be used for buffing, grinding and polishing. Most dads are after drill features besides being cordless like a keyless chuck, variable speed trigger, reverse action and adjustable clutch. If you have the budget, go for drills which are packaged as ‘kits’. This means they include various drill bits and accessories.
Pressure Washer – Most people used to rent pressure washers as they can be very expensive to own. Besides having better functions, current models of pressure washer are affordable. A pressure washer can be used for countless tasks that include cleaning window screens and siding: restoring decking, fencing and concrete; and they’re great for washing cars, boats and RVs.
If you didn’t like my short list of items here, you can always do an online search to find information that suits your query. Happy Father’s Day in advance to all of us dads.
One of the major obstacles that people face while deciding to change their house is whether to renovate it or rebuilt it from scratch. Well, it’s a tough choice to make, but it all depends on circumstances and convenience of individuals. There are innumerable things to consider while deciding which one to go with.
Purpose – Ascertain what you don’t like in your existing home and how you would like to change it. Whether its dated interiors or lack of space, you need to get to the reasons why you need a change. Do you want to extend your rooms? Is there enough light and ventilation available? Do you add a floor? These are just a few factors that you need to consider.
Solid foundation – Before starting out any major work for your house, make sure to get in inspected by an engineer. If there are structural issues like faulty plumbing or shoddy electrical wiring created by termite infestation, builders will refrain from tearing the house down. Moreover, if the property is old, major movements can cause the whole property to collapse. Just because you want does not mean that you can.
Restrictions – There are many restrictions on properties implied by the government or the local council. Make sure that your house doesn’t fall under these restrictions because if they are then, you’d have to rethink your whole remodeling plans. Contact your local council and make sure that you have the necessary permits.
Extension – It’s a tough choice that most homeowners have to ponder upon. If you have limited space, and you do not have permission to extend your boundaries, then you have to resort to increasing a level. For this to happen your roof must be removed, and you must evacuate the house. But if you can extend your house boundary, it will be a much easier job without you having to vacate the house.
To create a welcoming and comfortable outdoor space, you will need to choose the best cushion for your outdoor furniture. The entire selection process isn’t rocket science but it requires preparation and time on your part.
Focus on is quality. When it comes to choosing cushions for outdoor furniture, you need to ensure you choose a good quality product which is going to manage the harsh weather conditions and provide you with years of use. Quality can only be determined through extensive research, reviewing the supplier and then checking the items in detail when they arrive on your doorstep.
Consider the fabric. Cushions used in outdoor spaces need to be stronger, resistant and able to manage outdoor conditions, from harsh sunlight to driving rain to howling winds. This means you need to choose a strong fabric which can handle all these conditions and more without the cushion losing it’s color, structure or overall style. If you were to put an average scatter cushion on your outdoor furniture, it will be damaged after the first heavy rainfall. There are going to be times where you accidentally leave your cushions outside and you need to know that they will look just as good tomorrow as they did before the rain came down.
Check the sizes. Do this before placing any orders. Start off by measuring the furniture if you don’t already have the cushions and then measuring the cushion covers to ensure that they will work with your design, turning your boring outdoor space into a comfortable and welcoming oasis that you and your family can enjoy throughout the summer months.
Consider the aesthetic appeal. Envision how you are going to place them, the impact they will have and whether they are able to complete your design with ease, ensuring you are left with a beautiful outdoor space you can use and enjoy, entertain and have fun.
Research about warranty. It is impossible when buying online to know that any cushions you purchase are going to meet your unique requirements and expectations. It’s easy for a company to say that their cushions are fade and water resistant and that they are made from the best quality fabrics, but until you have the cushions in your hand and you feel them and inspect them on your own, there is no proof that you are buying the best of the best. Buying cushions for outdoor furniture that come with a warranty can provide you with much needed peace of mind when you need it most.
photo credits: farm7 dot static dot flickr dot com
Are you new in the neighborhood? Yes? You’re probably conscious about what your neighbors think about you. But don’t fret. This is a natural feeling every new comer in the neighborhood has to endure. With that said, it might be best that you take the time to be a good neighbor before other people could say anything bad against you. Here are some tips which can get you started with that.
Always smile and be the first to say hello. A friendly smile is contagious especially when you do it with a wave. If you come across a familiar face down the street or elsewhere, be the first to say hello. This will create an impression that you’re not a snob.
Reach out. Schedule a BBQ party in your backyard over the weekend. Invite your neighbors. This will be a good way to have fun and to know your neighbors better. A little act of hospitality can foster good relationship in your neighborhood.
Be a good driver. Kill your thrill for speed when driving in your neighborhood because it is not your personal racetrack. You can injure kids, dogs, joggers, walkers and bikers if you’re not careful.
Turn your music down. If you play music in your backyard or porch, make sure that the volume is at a reasonable that won’t disturb your neighbors. If you’re having a party with loud music, inform your neighbors ahead of time so that they can prepare themselves.
Keep your dog from barking incessantly and from wandering around. It is annoying to hear a dog barking all day or all night long especially when you’re tired and sleepy. Know why you’re dog’s barking incessantly and fix it. The same goes if your dog is a constant wanderer in the neighborhood. Keep him in your backyard using a rein.