Sure, DIY projects can be fun and rewarding. But it can be otherwise if you don’t observe necessary precautions before you start on any task.
Here are some safety tips to follow when planning and completing do-it-yourself and home improvement projects.
- Always have a first aid kit near your work space. Cuts and other small injuries are inevitable but the pain and infection they bring can be lessened or prevented if they’re cured immediately.
- If you need to climb somewhere, use a sturdy ladder. Falls are the leading cause of serious injuries and deaths at home.
- Read and understand the directions on the label or manual before using any chemical or tool you may be using. Improper use can damage your project, your tools and other properties. It can also put yourself in danger.
- Always wear goggles, ear plugs, mask, hard hat or gloves when needed.
- Avoid wearing clothes or pieces of jewelry that can become caught in the machine or tool you’re using.
- Unplug power tools if you need to walk away from the job, even if it is just for a moment. And when working on an electrical circuit, make sure the circuit is not live or attached to an electrical source. If you are not familiar with working on an electrical circuit, call a professional.
- Always plan out your task in advance. This will help you accomplish your goal safely and well.