There are no quick fixes when it comes to keeping your car in great condition. A car needs regular checkups and maintenance in order to work properly and get you where you want to go. However, you don’t have to spend a lot of money on maintaining your car. There are a few basic things you can do regularly which will help keep your car in good shape. They include the following:
1. Check and change the oil. Regular oil and filter changes help car engines last longer. Make sure that you have enough oil to lubricate all the moving parts in the engine. You can check the oil level with a dip stick.
2. Keep the cooling system in good condition. Prevent corrosion and deposits from building up in the cooling system by flushing it regularly. Change the coolant once a year. A mixture of coolant and water is good for car engines.
3. Lubricate all the moving parts of your car. Grease helps these moving parts stay in top condition. Ball joints and chassis often benefit from regular lubrication.
4. Replace transmission fluids and differential oils. These fluids must be changed according to the service schedule of your car. Know the type and viscosity that are recommended for your particular car engine before you buy any fluids or oils.
5. Inspect and replace belts. Belts are engine accessories that keep your car moving. They are responsible for power steering and pumping water to the engine. They also keep your car cool with air-conditioning and your car engine charged as needed. Cracked, frayed and worn belts must be replaced. Read this detailed infographic from Gates Australia for some guidelines on belt replacement.
6. Inspect and clean wheel bearings. Greasing these parts according to the car’s service schedule is important. This will keep you from buying spindle and hub replacements which are much more expensive than grease.
7. Wash your car regularly. Wash your car at least twice a month. If you live near the sea, you need to wash your car as often as once a week. This will keep the sea salt in the air from corroding your vehicle. Hose off any road grime from underneath your car. Clean the windshield and the head lights with a sponge and soapy water.
A clean and reliable car makes driving more enjoyable. It keeps you safe on the road as well. So take the time to care for and maintain your car today.